The meeting which was presided over by HE the Governor, Mr. Udom Emmanuel, had in attendance,HE the Deputy Governor, Secretary to the State Government, Chief of Staff, Head of the Civil Service, all Honourable Commissioners and Special Adviser. It commenced at 11am with the rendition of the National and State Anthems; the opening prayer was worded by Prof. Augustine Umoh (HC-Health).
The Governor sitting as Chairman-in-Council assured the Council that despite the biting economic situation that the country was going through, which has also adversely affected the state, the Government was working round the clock to insulate the state from the pangs of the current economic distress. He encouraged all members to give their best in all assigned tasks.
The Governor expressed great displeasure at the security challenges currently witnessed in Essien Udim, but assured that the Security agencies are on hand to restore normalcy in the area .
After exhaustive deliberations, council arrived at the following resolutions:
1. The use of schools for ceremonies during weekdays is prohibited effective 1st April, 2021. Furthermore, the use of school blocks and facilities for church activities on sundays is hereby cancelled. However, Churches seeking to use schools for church services, are to request and obtain the express permission of the Honourable Commissioner for Education. The Ministry of Education was directed to ensure strict compliance.
2. The White paper on the report of the Commission of Inquiry(Ini Local Government Area) Perennial problems in 2013 was presented and passed.
3. Approval for additional works on 19.3Km Anua-Mbak Ishiet road was granted.
4. Approval for additional works on 13.6km Ikot Ebiere-Ikot Edor-Ikot Iko Ibon-Okom Road and Ukpana-Akabom-Ikwe -Road with 1 no. Bridge of 30M span and 7.3M Carriage in Onna and Mkpat Enin Local Government Areas.
5. Approval for emergency works to complete Oron Urban Roads was granted.
6. The contract for 18.95 Km Ikot Ibritam-Ekeffe-Ikot Akpan Afaha road with 2 No. Bridges in Oruk Anam and Ukanafun Local Government Areas was re-awarded to AYF Development Nig. Ltd.
7. Approval for additional works for the construction of 1.4km outfall drains on the 8.5km Nduetong Oku-Ekit Itam road with 40M span bridge and spur in Itu/Uruan Local Government Areas.
8. Council approved that the school calendar be returned to 5 days (Monday- Friday),revoking the previous decision which made Saturday a school day.
The meeting ended at 3:30pm with a prayer offered by HC-Economic Development and Ibom Deep Seaport.
Comrade Ini Ememobong
Honourable Commissioner for Information & Strategy
Akwa Ibom State