The meeting which was presided by HE the Governor, had in attendance HE, the Deputy Governor, Secretary to the State Government, Chief of Staff to the Governor, Head of the Civil Service, all Commissioners and Special Adviser, commenced at 11:30am after the rendering of the national and state anthems and an opening prayer offered by HC-Finance, Mr. Nsikan Linus Nkan.
HE the Governor briefed council on the potentials of the investments attracted to the state. He intimated that the projects that will be birthed through the recently signed Memorandum of Understanding with OCP in the 1.4B USD fertilizer deal will at construction stage require at least 7,000 people, most of whom will be sourced locally. He appealed to the host communities of these projects to welcome development, instead of stifling the execution of the projects.
1. The general status update for all projects was undertaken and council, while expressing satisfaction with the speed of delivery, demanded the meeting of deadlines.
2. The Ibom plaza remodelling proposal was presented by HC- Culture & Tourism, stating in details the proposed changes and the economic impact that are concomitant . Council approved the project and directed that it should be implemented through a Public Private Partnership model.
3. COVID-19 status update and vaccination exercise review was presented by the HC-Health, who informed that the batch of the vaccines sent to Nigeria is safe. He further intimated that the flag off of the vaccination had been undertaken and is still on going. EXCO appreciated the Federal Government for facilitating the entry of the vaccine into the country and for sending the first batch to Akwa Ibom State. EXCO directed that the vaccination exercise be executed in strict compliance with the protocol outlined by the NCDC/NPHDA. It was further directed that wide sensitisation be undertaken to mobilize people to receive the vaccines.
4. The White paper on the report of the Commission of Inquiry on the Civil disturbances between Ikot Akpan Udo and Amazaba communities of Akwa Ibom State was received and accepted.
5. Council received the completion report on the Dakkada Tower(21 storey smart building ) as presented by HC-Special Duties and approved the lease of the building to high end clients. EXCO demanded expedited action on the assignment.
6. EXCO directed that the membership of the Immediate past Vice Chancellor, Prof. Eno Ibanga and the incumbent Vice Chancellor, Prof. Nse Essien be excluded from the visitation panel of Akwa Ibom State University and the panel tasked to expedite action and submit its report as soon as possible.
7. EXCO seriously frowned at frequent communal clashes witnessed in the state, and promised to decisively deal with culprits.
Comrade Ini Ememobong
Honourable Commissioner for Information & Strategy
Akwa Ibom State